Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Casa Verde

My home in Arequipa - Casa Verde - the shelter for orphans or kids from poor families got to be my nest and family for more than a month. How was it?! One of the experiences which left a strong mark on my life path!
Shelter or kids without parents is the subject which I never involved myself before. I didn’t know anything of their lives, wishes or everyday routine, but that changed in a while!



It was blessed opportunity for me to meet those incredible personalities, who in one month gave me so much love that I could never expect. The hugs and kisses all days through and expectation to receive love back – that was very important.
The shelter Casa Verde is a project of a German man called Volker, who worked for a while in social sector in Lima and later moved to Arequipa, where 17 years ago opened doors for kids in Casa Verde. The kids there -are picked up from the street, from violent families and some are orphans given from governmental institutions. Unfortunately the government does not assure any financial support for this shelter, but that was not an obstacle, because most of the kids have their own sponsors – the persons to who Volker introduced this project and who decided to devote some amount of money frequently to some of the children.
Kids call these sponsors – godparents (padrinos), to whom they also write their Christmas cards with all best wishes and blessings to their families.  Some of the ‘padrinos’ write really heart-fully back and send some little presents to them, but some (I don’t really understand those people) in their letters just few times mention about money they sent and put a signature as ‘Your sponsor’. That makes me think - isn’t there really anything nicer, one could say for a little kid? But that’s another story…
There were so many situations during this period of time, which made me understand how huge is the footprint on the person from the events happened in his or her childhood. That is enormous and one can do almost nothing to make it disappear.
Like normal kids they have their good and bad days. Sometimes they play sometimes they fight. But one from the side would think that they have nothing else in mind than the bunch of Christmas presents and sweets next to them, until You start to speak and can realize that their mind is preoccupied with a memories of mother who they don’t meet or don’t have anymore. I was many times listening stories which they remember from their house before coming to Casa Verde or even compared with all the similarities of their mother. But some of the older children meanwhile,  have spent so much time in this shelter, that even are not willing to be adopted anymore, as it seems like to give away Your family – family of Casa Verde.



In my eyes Casa Verde is incredible place which helps to fix mistakes made by our society. They not only give the kids everything they need to survive but also help them to understand this world and make the first steps of life in the safe direction. Some of the kids here involved in exchange for 1 year in USA, all older ones are also educated to some profession, so when they leave the Casa Verde in their 18, they can start to live on their own. But little ones are stimulated to study and overcome the common fear of math, which is like a virus here, as the education in public schools is really poor.
I tried to spend my time with Casa Verde kids in the best possible way and teach them the things life taught to me, always starting my moral with: “But my grandma once told me..” – because this beginning always captured their attention. Though I am also very thankful for all those things they taught to me. – A little 10 years old girl taught me how to correctly wash my clothes with hands while other ones – how to make a prayer before the meal and how life is in Africa, where they have friends from other shelters.. and many, many other things, which I promised to pass on to the next generation ;)









My dear friends, there are still many kids who do not have their padrinos, so if any of You have a wish to help these kids with Your attention (do some volunteer work), presents or financial support, just let me know and I will tell You how it is possible.
Only all together we can make this world as a better place.




Besos!









No comments:

Post a Comment